Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Easy Oatmeal Breakfast Bars

I don't like oatmeal. 


There, I said it.

I wish I did, because it's on the list of food I can eat.
For those who don't know, I've been on a no sugar, no gluten, no dairy, 50% veggie diet since last December and there are so many things that I don't like. You could call me a picky eater ...
and you'd be right.

The problem is, there aren't very many things I can eat for breakfast and I really needed another option. So, a couple of weeks ago, I tried oatmeal again in hopes that my taste buds have changed.

Nope, still don't like it.

I happened to see a video where the person took a mashed banana, added oats to it and baked it in the oven. 
I gave it a shot because I love oatmeal cookies and granola bars and because it is gluten free and healthy. 
But, it came up flat.
It was a great idea though...
so I added a few things.


First off, it needed salt...
and a little cinnamon...
and a little honey (I can't have sugar, but a little honey is ok)...
hmmm. Applesauce would be good too.

So here's how you make the Oatmeal Breakfast Bars...
Mash 1 banana really well.


add 1 1/2 cups rolled oat
add 3/4 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 cup of applesauce.


Mix it all together.

 I've since found an easier way to make these,
  instead, mashed the banana, apple sauce and honey, cinnamon & salt together in a bowl. Mix a good bit, then add the oats and mix all together.

Press it into an 8'' x 8'' pan. I used a larger pan and just pressed it all out to 8" x 8".



Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 24 minutes or until the edges are a little golden brown.



Cut into squares and serve on a plate.
Or take them to go if you're in a hurry. 



They're a little chewy and cinnamon-y. 

This is the way I like my oatmeal.

Here are the ingredients again:

1 mashed banana
3/4 tsp salt( I use Pink Himalayan Salt)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tablespoon honey(I use raw honey*)
1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
(Update: try adding1/2 teaspoon of vanilla!)


You could add raisins if you'd like. I didn't because raisins have too much sugar for me (even though it's natural).
You could also add peanut or almond butter (make sure it's just nuts and salt - no other added ingredients) instead of the applesauce, but try to keep it 
healthy, especially for breakfast. 

I might get brave and try some pumpkin instead of the banana, but I'm sure it would need a little more applesauce and rolled oats, and of course, some nutmeg and cloves...

These would be super easy to make with kids.
For school days, you could put all of the ingredients together, except the oats, the night before. Then add the oats first thing in the morning when you get up. They'd be ready to take out of the oven by the time you get ready and you'd have a nice warm breakfast to take on the road if you're running late.
Ask your kids(or husband) what other ingredients they'd like to try in them.

Whatever you do,

HAVE FUN!!!



Hope you're having a good weekend.

Pam
Here's a link to some Organic Oats that can be delivered to your door.

You could do me a big favor by clicking on any Amazon link and making the purchases through that link. You can purchase anything you'd normally buy and I could make small commission on that order. You still get the same price by going through my link.  Thanks in advance!

* be careful when buying honey. Much of it isn't 100% real honey. Some is actually adulterated with corn syrup and you want to stay away from that!

No comments:

Post a Comment