Monday, March 23, 2015

A Lyme Success Story

Today, I thought I'd share a wonderful success story from Brenda Cosentino, who is a member one one of the groups I follow on Facebook. She's living proof that one can get well with something other than long term antibiotics. Here's what she wrote:

Lyme Remission 5 months!
I have been asked by a couple of lyme forums to write up my story so I thought I would post it here as well. I have been completely free of ALL lyme symptoms for the past 5 months. Twenty years ago I became ill and suffered quietly with no medical help to be had. I was put on anti depressants and mood stabilizers. For 14 years I remained on this medication always hoping for some change. I ended up with chemically induced bipolar disorder. Seven years ago I found an alternative doc who diagnosed me with cfs/fibro. He changed my diet to a gluten, dairy, processed food, chemical, soy, grain and sugar free diet. At this time I weaned myself off of all psych meds and felt hugely better. I began taking large amounts of vitamins and minerals. All anxiety, depression, mania and suicidal ideation went away and has not returned in 7 years.


While I felt better making these changes I still suffered from extreme fatigue. I lost the ability to work in 2004 and was put on a disability. I kept searching and searching. I knew that my problem originated in my gut but could not figure it out. My alternative doc suggested that I get my amalgam fillings removed. I had 4 large fillings out by a biological dentist and was told to eat lots of raw garlic. It was at this time that I discovered a large ascaris worm in my stool. I then began parasite cleansing continuously for the next 2 years. I discovered that most of the cleanses on the market are too weak to kill a large ascaris or rope-worm so I made my own powdered dewormers that I use to this day.

This brings me up to 2012 when my health was just getting worse. I was hardly leaving the house and spent many weeks at a time in bed. I was heavy without really eating much. The reason I gained is that I was so hypothyroid. Finally I began researching lyme disease and found a doctor who gave me a clinical diagnoses of lyme. By this time I think it was over 20 years that I have had it. I decided not to use anti-biotics as I knew this would just derange my gut flora even more so I decided to go the natural route.

My main symptoms were constipation, migraines, headaches, body aches, low body temps, muscle weakness, muscle twitching, head pressure, dizziness, ear pain, tooth pain and discoloration, bleeding gums, ridged finger nails, bloating, weight gain, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, hair loss, sore throat, anemia and extreme fatigue.

The first thing I tried specifically for lyme were ozone treatments in Oct 2013. Ozone is effective but I only had the resources to receive a months worth at a clinic in Mexico. I felt fantastic but relapsed a couple of months later. I stumbled around trying various things only to discover that the parasites had come back full force.

Last April/2014 I found out about Stephen Buhner. I knew that the parasites needed to be dealt with again. There are many in the alternative field that believe infections should be treated largest to smallest. I did a 2 month parasite cleanse using my herbal recipe. Then I added in the Buhner herbs one at a time. Once I got to full dose I would add in the next herb to complete the core protocol The herx was very intense for the first 4 months. Debilitating really but I persevered. Activated charcoal and plain water enemas were my constant at that time. I never started to feel better until I was at the 4th month. At the 5th month I added in cryptolepis and sida acuta for babs. Migraines and headaches are completely gone after this treatment. I continued with the core herbs for a total of 7 months.

The other diet change I made in August, 2014 was to start the Wahl's Paleo Plus diet. I started feeling much better once I added in the green smoothies for breakfast.
I have been very, very careful not to take anything that will kill the good flora in my gut. This is critical with overcoming these types of infections. Over the years I experimented with many so called natural things that are known to kill the gut flora. Heal your gut and you will heal your body

I spent much of the winter in Mexico this past year. The last couple of months I use turmeric, fennel, dandelion and milk thistle blend at the first sign of coming down with any kind of bug. There was a very bad flu going around Mexico and I was only sick for 2 days compared to my friends who had it for 3 weeks. The other thing I take daily is a very strong probiotic before bed. This seems to keep me regular and vibrant.



It is a miracle to have energy and my health back after so many years of being sick! I exercise for 1.5 hours almost every day. I have lost about 18 lbs in the last year. Much of this weight I think was from inflammation. I have lots of energy today and hope to hold affordable long-stay retreats in Mexico for others who are sick. I feel that the highly oxygenated air, fresh fruits/vegetables, good sleep, letting go of unhealthy beliefs and resentments, walking barefoot, sunbathing and swimming in the sea have all contributed to my healing. The body has incredible restorative abilities if it is given everything that it needs to heal.

I wish you all speedy healing!
Let food be your medicine and your medicine be your food. Brenda Cosentino.

Thank you Brenda for letting me share your story!


I don't know about you, but when I read that, it gave me hope

to keep going. 


If you'd like to read more from Brenda, stop by her blog HERE.


Thanks for stopping by.


I hope today is a good day for you,

Pam

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pam- Thanks for sharing my story. I just wanted to let you know that I have a new blog here at www.realfoodrebel.com

    I have been in complete remission and getting healthier and stronger. Keep up the fight!

    Best of Health!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide credit and
    sources back to your weblog? My blog site is in the exact same niche as yours and my visitors would
    genuinely benefit from a lot of the information you present here.
    Please let me know if this alright with you. Thanks a lot!

    Feel free to surf to my web site :: lasertest

    ReplyDelete